Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Perks of Being Inadequate

I am a proud person. I know I am. If you don't think so, maybe it's because I hide this trait well. Or maybe you just don't know me enough. But of course, I'm not proud being proud. Well you know the drill, it's just not a very nice thing isn't it? And of course being riya' can cause your downfall in the hereafter. . Sighs. Allah help me.
 Well, back to my topic. Inadequacy. See, we always wonder why we suck at a certain subject, like add math. Ahem. Or why can't we play a sport well or why we don't have the confidence to speak in public. For me, I've always wanted to be an all-rounder. I'd like to be good at everything. But of course I'm not. I'd really love to but God has his plans for me. Nevertheless, I'm still human. I get envious of people who simply just excell at everything they do. And I'd probably fret, why am I so inadequate?
Today, I can give you two probable reasons of why we weren't born perfect. First of all, it teaches you to be humble. Imagine if I am actually an all-rounder. Look at the possible effects. It would be like feeding my pride a bunch of good old marshmallows, allowing it to grow and nurture and become ripe. Wow, that sounded wrong in all possible ways. I don't even like marshmallows but you get what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that I've become humble now. No, this ordeal always has the potential to teach me to become modest. Potentially, it does have. See, maybe it's not that bad if you're not naturally capable of a certain subject. Maybe God is teaching you to earn it by hard work. 
 The other reason would probably sound petty to those who know what they aspire to be in the future.Yes, inadequacy helps you to decide on your future job. For instance, you suck at science subjects and obviously you know you don't enjoy them. Dropping them sounds easy but we're in Malaysia. For some reason, we have the perception that 'if you're good, then you shoud go into science stream' or 'you're only good if you're in science stream'. So, many students feel obliged to enter science stream. But then, if we're obviously are just not cut out for it, then at least it helps in your decision-making for your future career. In your head, you can cross out options medicine, engineering and etc. It helps, it really does. I see many of my friends who don't know what in to be in the future. Some of them are probably just good at every subject, causing them unable to choose which path to take. The rest, possibly purely clueless.
 So peeps, remember these things when you fail at something in life. They are what I call perks.

2 comments:

  1. Trust me, arrogance is not a trait you have. And preach, no one should feel inadequate. No one is perfect, after all.


    (I just realised how hypocritical this comment sounds)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I don't appear to have it. But this heart, I've known her for years already. I've just been able to admit it recently. No, how can your comment be hypocritical? Cheers to inadequacy! in a good way la~

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis