Sunday, December 6, 2015

Culture Shocks?

Wow, I wrote this post back in September, when I had just started schooling. But I saved it to drafts thinking I would improve this post and publish it after a few days. I only came to do it after a few months. Finals soon! I added commentaries today to reflect on what has changed.

So I have recently started school at U of M.

Doors are heavy!

One of the first things I noticed was that doors are really heavy. I couldn't even push some of them. Many times I would be fumbling to open one of the many doors available, giving up, about to attempt opening the door when some stranger just opens the previous door easily. If anything, I am appalled at my own weakness. But to justify myself, in Malaysia doors are really light, so I never really give a big push at doors.

Comment: I guess doors are still heavy, but I can push them fine now ;)

People trying to bless me after I sneeze

From watching movies, I know that Americans say "Bless you" after hearing someone sneezing. If you know me well, then you would know about my allergies. So imagine myself on a series of sneezing episodes, and the more sneezes I churned out, the more people trying to bless me. I find it odd to live that experience. Because I don't really understand the concept of it. I appreciate the thought though guys.

Comment: I guess it's pretty obvious Aifa, that people are asking God to bless you!

Pizza Party all the time

I love pizzas. I don't know how many slices I take ever since I came here. Sometimes I consider going to club mass meetings just for the pizzas. They are awesome. I am aware, though, like many other Malaysians, I'll probably get bored of it soon.

Comment: I don't get that many free pizzas anymore :(

School spirit is crazy

I had never thought about coming here because of "U of M" has a big name in college football. Honestly, I forgot how big sports is here until I came here. And heck, I never expected that it is that big of a deal. The fact that is that there are so many Blue Merchandise Shop never fails to surprise me. I mean, wow people really buy these stuff. One time, when I asked my classmate who we were against the next day, she went, "AIFA!". She really couldn't believe I was that indifferent. By the way, people cried when we lost to MSU. When my lecturer asked another classmate " What did you think about the game?",  he replied, "I don't wanna talk about it". Guys, chill.

Comment: I still haven't bought a single Blue merchandise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis