Tuesday, December 31, 2013

What I have learned from 2013

Instead of posting highlights of the year, I thought of sharing some lessons I learnt this year, as cheesy as it sounds.


Love the Young Ones

This is literally the name of the lecture from Twins of Faith 2013, which I attended a few days ago. Man, when I saw this lecture on the itinerary, I said to myself philosophically " This is for me". Because I am really no fan of kids (Boohoo! I know, I know). But hold on a sec, I am keen on kids who behave. Quiet and obedient ones. Might as well say I like kids who just can't express themselves. Anyway, I bared no such guilt for despising the presence of the innocent ones until... I can't remember when exactly. Somewhere along late last year and middle of this year Sheikh Hussein Yee happened. He walks the talk. I was guilty but lacked motivation. Until a dew days ago, when I heard Sh. Assim Al Hakeem. I've made a self-check.

Allah’s Messenger kissed Al-Hasan ibn `Ali while Al-Aqra` ibn Habis At-Tamim was sitting with him . Al-Aqra` said, “I have ten children and have never kissed one of them.” The Prophet cast a look at him and said, “Whoever is not merciful to others will not be treated mercifully.” (Al-Bukhari)

My problem is I have no patience with them children. I like the playing with the toddlers but there exist the ones who have no respe-...must.restrain.myself.They're only kids. I MUST BUCK UP.

Everything Happens for a Reason

I am someone who dwells on the past a lot. Literally. I am always thinking, "if only this...if only that happened". But Alhamdulillah, for God has helped me see through all those what-I-initially-thought-as-mishaps and see the blessings in them. This is what Islam has given me, certainty. Of course, now and then I would wallow in my sorrows but I know this has reduced. 

Time for an Albus Dumbledore quote!


Learn to Accept Criticism

Once, when N started advising A and me, I could feel myself boiling up. I was probably finding 1001 of N's faults in my head. Just when I was about to explode (for dramatic purposes), A said "What else?". As in what else does A need to improve. I was just gobsmacked. I just can't. Another time, I asked Y if she ever got offended if someone criticized her and her reply was "No. I like it when people criticize me". Before you get any ideas that I am surrounded with weird friends, let me just tell you these people believe in constructive criticism in its truest meaning. 



To those who who came into my life in 2013:

 Thank you to my housemates whom I've learnt a lot from; Nadine, Arini and Husna.  Not too forget, my crazy classmates who've made classes somewhat fun! 

Welcome 2014! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis