Sunday, November 6, 2011

More Than For a String of As


I just had an epiphany. Okay, scratch that. It was my something at the back of my head for a long time already. See, it's exam season. During English paper, Madam R had given us quite a challenge.I quite enjoyed my time writing my answers. There was one inspiring article about a man writing up some tips to his son on succeeding in life. And there was one sentence that I kept re-reading. Well, that was actually because the points of summary was somewhere along that paragraph but I liked it anyway, Back to the point, the father had said that you have to have a pure desire to learn in order to be an achiever. There, it struck me! Well I knew that a long time ago but lets just say it re-struck me. 

If I just learn for the sake of wanting to learn, all of this just would be much easier. As a student, I can't help that the education system is flawed. I can't help it for now but I should be better than just criticizing fate. I should be grateful enough to even get an education. Perhaps that's why my study momentum has never been impressive. In my mind, I just wanna get straight As. Just swiftly sit through SPM and attain easy As. That is my drive. The pathetic source of my momentum. It has kept me going but studying, at many times feels tormenting. 

But then I have read of great muslim scholars for Islamic studies examination.I felt forced to memorize the facts about these people but I felt touched by their enthusiasm to learn. How  Imam Syafie had memorized the holy Quran at the age of nine. How Imam Ahmad bin Hambal had gone to Syria, Yemen and many other places in pursuit of knowledge. How can they attain so much when I barely ever feel pumped out to learn so many things.

Remember Nik Madihah, Malaysia's best student a few years back. Her secret for success was that she loved and treasured knowledge. She could be found studying into the early hours of the morning just because she just couldn't get enough. The only reason I would be studying during such time is for last-minute preparation for a test. 

Truly I am ashamed. I want to be like these people.I don't want to memorize history facts just for the sake of memorizing anymore. There is no real satisfaction living life like that. There has to be more to it. I desperately need to learn for sake of learning. We all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis