Thursday, April 18, 2013

MARA-JPA Interview

*Blows away all accumulated dust*
.
.
.
*coughs*

 I would love to make this post about tips on how to score the MARA-JPA interview but that would be out of my line since I don't even know if I will be chosen as a scholar. What I can really give you is a picture of what you may go through if you go for a MARA-JPA interview in the future. That is, if the format is maintained.

Well 2013 is the first year such a scholarship existed, really. There were a total of three sessions and all were done in groups.


 Case Study (English only)


We were given a two papers. One was of a  logo of Petronas and the other the instructions. The question went something like, " How can the picture (referring to Petronas) enhance a sense of belonging for younger generation towards Malaysia?". At first, nothing really clicked. But then we managed to extract some ideas from out rusty little brains. Basically our theme was somewhat "Being proud of Petronas's achievements", being it is a local company. Our presentation went quite okay.

Interview (English and Bahasa)


There were about seven in my group, we entered the room where two interviewers were seated across. And we sat infront of them in one line. It was pretty lax I guess, one of the two was always smiling, almost cynical. Anywhoo, the questions were

#1 Perkenalkan diri kamu. Kenapa kamu pilih MARA-JPA? Dan kenapa kamu pilih course kamu?

So this one was pretty  straight-on but seriously, get your course straight. Someone from my group was saying he wanted to be a doctor seeing a family member died and etc. That was pretty deep and emotional. The only thing wrong was that MEDICINE WAS NEVER OFFERED. Dentistry was the closest course.

#2 Adakah sistem pendidikan di Malaysia cukup baik? 

Wow, this is a dream question! I managed to pent up some of the frustration I had in brain but of course, berlapik. Someone did say, "Cukup bagus". Hah, I couldn't believe it when I heard it but then everyone is entitled to have their own opinion.

#3 What do you know about Tun Mahathir? (And also something about his leadership)

I think no one really went into deep on this topic. Someone even got caught not knowing what "Vision 2020" is really about. I had my fair share of doubt too. Well the thing is folks, know your leaders!

#4 Kenapa kami patut pilih anda?

Just sell yourself baby!

Penyelesaian Masalah (Bahasa only)


Basically, we had to present how to solve copyright issues in Malaysia or in Bahasa, cetak rompak. The presentation was alright but the questions were quite difficult. They asked which ministries and agencies are involved in solving the problem and etc. My knowledge in this department is laughable. It is official that a) this was the hardest session for me and b) my general knowledge needs real polishing.


Unwarranted Tips 

I guess I do have the right to give a few tips. Not on how to obtain the scholarship but rather on what precautions you must take. This is from what I observed from the mistakes some of us did.


  • They want to hear that you will work for the government so don't talk about opening up your firm yet.
  • You are to work locally. Don't talk about working overseas. You have to show that you are patriotic.
  • Show that you are all about unity. Which yes, you should be! Don't talk garbage about other races and be so head-on fanatic about your own. In other words, don't be racist.
  • Know your facts. Find out about Malaysian leaders. Update yourself with local news. And also know your ideal course!
  • Talk. Say something different. Shine!
 It was pretty fun. Even if I don't receive this scholarship, the experience was still worth it.Well, I guess that's about it. May Allah guide you.


 Disclaimer 23/3/2015

Um, I don't know what caption I should put up here. Anyhoo, seeing the increasing number of views on this post, I'm guessing it's the interviewing season again.  I just want to let you guys know that this was two years ago. You might wanna check what happened last year and [the following year(s) if you're not reading this in 2015]. But I a little bit of advice can never get old. So self-censor(?). Can't think of the right word.

All the best!


18 comments:

  1. Did you answer in English when they ask Malay? Or...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sorry for answering a month later. I bet you've gone for your interview (assuming you're a candidate). Anyway, I answered according to whatever language the interviewer asked.

      Delete
  2. so did you get the scholarship?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was your answer when they ask you. Why JPA-MARA. And why did you choose that course?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guessing you're the same anon as the one below. But if not, refer to the reply of the comment below.

      Delete
  4. Can you please state all your answers that you've answered from the all the questions? Please make the reply before 26/3/2015. I've got to go for the JPA-MARA interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1 Perkenalkan diri kamu. Kenapa kamu pilih MARA-JPA? Dan kenapa kamu pilih course kamu?

      Can't recall much. But back then I wanted to take International Relations (changed major already) but if you have passion for the course you are taking, just be honest (you should have passion for it btw). Cuz I remember I did have passion for IR back then. So, I could answer with ease.

      #2 Adakah sistem pendidikan di Malaysia cukup baik?

      I was honest that it needed improvement. babbled something along the lines of "not enough critical thinking skills".

      I've answered on Petronas. For questions like "Tun M" and "cetak rompak", I won't be of any help. They are based on knowledge that you already have.

      #4 Kenapa kami patut pilih anda?

      Only you can know the answer to this. So think what are your best qualities. I think I may have talked a lot about passion, cuz I used that a lot to justify my decisions back then.

      Sorry if it isn't much help. All the best!

      Delete
  5. Helloo usually dorang accept berapa scholars? I went for the interview haritu and i am so insecure cause results i tk gempak, but i applied for economics /:

    Rumours ckp this year pilih 1000/6000 is is true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my batch, ada je yang tak straight As dapat. But truthfully, I don't know what JPA-MARA has in mind. I tak tahu spa berapa ban yak diorang tengok results, interview, koko.

      Delete
  6. Yes I am the same anon who asked you the 2 questions above haha.
    FYI, this year's interview was more like a Group Presentation which was quite an easy task for me. Unfortunately, I didn't get the scholarship haha but I just reapplied. So, results will be out on the 25th of May. So, wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, i also applied for JPA-MARA scholarship. can i know when did they sent to you the application status stated that u were accepted to be one of the candidates for the iv and stuffs? i genuinely waiting for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting 11 April. Anyway they'll message you if you got it

      Delete
    2. Starting 11 April. Anyway they'll message you if you got it

      Delete
    3. I feel bad for not checking my blog more often, but glad Dira replied. Dah lama sangat, I also cannot remember how long I waited.

      Delete
  8. Akak kalau kita dah tick hadir but at the end kita tak datang temuduga tu.die blacklist kite x utk dpt scholarship pde mse akn dtg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry dik, lama sangat dah tinggal sekolah, lupa nak cek komen masa tu. Hope you figured it out!

      Delete
  9. Akak kalau kita dah tick hadir but at the end kita tak datang temuduga tu.die blacklist kite x utk dpt scholarship pde mse akn dtg?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis